IN AN AGE of innovation and creativity in online gambling, the humble scratchcard has still managed to maintain its place as a fan favourite.
The simple act of scratching away positions to reveal prizes never gets old, and the online scratchcard vertical is stronger than ever. With so much choice, knowing which scratchcards to play and which scratchcard casinos to play them at can be difficult.
In this best online scratch cards guide, we will tell you everything you need to know about playing scratchcards online.
🎲 Best UK online scratch card casinos
- Magic Red
- LeoVegas casino
- 10bet casino
- Dream Vegas
- Sun Vegas casino
- Rainbow Riches casino
- Grosvenor Casinos
- Aztec Wins
- Karamba casino
- Betway casino
How do you play online scratchcards?
Like physical scratchcards, the beauty of online scratchcards lies in their simplicity. Let’s take a look at how to play online scratchcards.
- Select your scratchcard at your favourite online casino.
- When the card has loaded up, choose your stake size.
- Ensure you have read through the paytable to understand how the card works.
- You can then scratch away at the card to reveal prizes. Most cards will have a quick scratch option.
- Any wins are calculated and paid out.
💻 What are the benefits of playing online scratchcards vs buying them at a corner shop?
There are many benefits to using online scratchcards ahead of physical ones you can buy in your local shop. The following are the five biggest benefits.
- Convenience: The most obvious advantage to buying an online scratchcard is the convenience. You do not need to leave your house and head to a shop; you simply need to log in to your favourite online casino and play.
- Bonuses: Online scratchcards tend to have a selection of bonus features and mechanics to enhance the gameplay and provide players with more winning opportunities.
- Ease: There is nothing more frustrating than buying a scratchcard and then realising you don’t have any coins or keys around to scratch it off. This is not a problem with online scratchcards, as you just need to move your cursor over them to reveal their prizes. Better yet, most games have an instant-scratch option.
- Variety: Online scratchcards can explore different themes, have enhanced graphics, and offer more interesting gameplay, while physical cards are much more restricted in this respect.
- Winning potential: Online scratchcards will often have much bigger winning potential than their physical counterparts, and they will also have more flexibility in terms of cost, with physical scratchcards having a set price.
What types of scratchcards can you play online?
- Classic: Classic scratchcards are based on traditional scratchcard games. These usually have a very small number of positions for you to scratch, and you will need to match three or more symbols to win a corresponding prize.
- Bingo: Bingo scratchcards are like a mix of traditional bingo games and scratchcards. For these, you will need to scratch off numbers or items to win prizes that correspond with them.
- Themed: Online scratchcards come in all shapes and sizes, and you will find many different themed scratchcards at top online casinos. In many cases, themed scratchcards are inspired by a slot or a piece of popular culture and may come with bonuses related to that.
💰 Which online scratchcards have the highest return to player?
Let’s explore some scratchcards with the highest return-to-player (RTP) rates.
Wish Upon a Jackpot – 96.06%
Players who enjoy more fanciful games should check out the Wish Upon a Jackpot slot. Not to be confused with the slot of the same name, Wish Upon a Jackpot is also developed by Blueprint Gaming. The game invites players to scratch through magical orbs in a quest to match three items and land a big win.
Whack-a-jackpot – 96.30%
The Whack a Jackpot scratchcard game was designed and developed by Microgaming. The game, which boasts a generous RTP of 96.30%, puts a spin on the classic whack-a-mole carnival and arcade game. Players can bag themselves a maximum win of 5,000x their stake, with the aim of the game being to match three multipliers of the same value across your card.
Lucky Numbers – 96.57%
Lucky Numbers is a popular scratchcard designed and developed by Games Global. It pulls its inspiration from Chinese culture, with the game boasting an excellent design. Its biggest selling point, however, is its impressive RTP, which comes in at 96.57%, and its maximum win of £20,000.
Can I get bonuses at casinos to use on scratchcards?
Yes. The majority of online casinos will offer welcome bonuses for new players, as well as regular promotions for existing customers. Deposit bonuses are the most popular type of bonus, and you are often allowed to use these on scratchcards and other instant-win games.
Of course, we recommend you read through the terms & conditions of all bonuses to ensure that scratchcards are eligible.
🧠 How to choose the best scratchcard casino
- Bonuses: One of the main attractions for players when looking for scratchcard casinos is the bonuses and promotions it has on offer. You will want to ensure the bonus selection is strong, with good wagering requirements and plenty of flexibility.
- Scratchcard selection: Of course, a good scratchcard selection is essential. Look for casinos that have a dedicated scratchcard section, and try to find ones that work with an array of developers to ensure you have plenty of variety.
- Other gaming options: You will also want to check the other games that the casino has to offer. You should spend some time checking out the lobby, exploring the slot selection, the live casino options, and more.
❓ Most commonly asked questions about scratchards
The following are the most commonly asked questions that players have about online scratchcards.
1. Are online scratchcards safe?
Yes. All online scratchcards we recommend are safe and fair. In order to ensure your safety when betting online, check out the casino’s licensing information, which should be displayed at the bottom of its page.
2. Can I play scratchcards online for free?
Yes. You can try out scratchcards online for free. This can be an excellent way to get used to how a game works and to determine whether you want to play for real money.
3. How do digital scratchcards work?
Digital scratchcards operate in the same way as their physical counterparts. Players choose their stake and then ‘scratch’ away to reveal matching symbols and/or prizes. Before playing an online scratchcard, ensure you read through the paytable to make sure you fully understand how it works.
4. Where can I play online scratchcards?
There are loads of top online casinos where you can play online scratchcards. Our personal favourite is Winomania. This popular casino boasts an impressive number of scratchcard games, as well as other instant-win titles.
5. Are scratchcards rigged?
No. Online scratchcards use random number generators (RNG) to determine their outcome. This ensures that neither the player nor the casino can have any influence on the card’s results.
About the author
Liam is an experienced iGaming and sports betting journalist based in Cardiff. He has worked in the sports betting industry since 2017 and has provided content for some of the biggest casino and betting brands in the UK. He has also covered football and other sports for both regional and national newspapers.
Remember to gamble responsibly
A responsible gambler is someone who:
- Establishes time and monetary limits before playing
- Only gambles with money they can afford to lose
- Never chase their losses
- Doesn’t gamble if they’re upset, angry, or depressed
- Gamcare – www.gamcare.org.uk
- Gamble Aware – www.begambleaware.org
For help with a gambling problem, call the National Gambling Helpline on 0808 8020 133 or go to www.gamstop.co.uk to be excluded from all UK-regulated gambling websites.